Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Craziness, Randomness, and Fun


I had the pleasure this weekend of going to Chicago with my best friend. Let's just say, it was eventful to say the very least. 
SOOOOO, we leave St. Louis at about 4ish....get about 10 minutes away before realizing we have forgotten allergy medicine and Lyn's phone charger.  Turn around, by 4:30 we are back on the road. We stop at quicktrip for hotdogs, caffeine, and gas and then we are off.  We had the windows down, radio blaring, laughing hysterically. We passed a ton of signs that looked like cities in states nowhere near where we needed to be. (El Paso, altlanta, Towanda)

So at about 9 or so we get to Joliet, our home about 45 minutes from the city. We check into our motel and get to our room to find that it had been a smoking room, we are in the ghetto, and the room is just horrible. I'm not a baby, but this room was really bad. Trying to make the best of it, I decided to turn the air on thinking maybe it would help...and the air conditioner sparks, burning the carpet, and shocks the daylights out of me, knocking me on my backside. 

At this point Lyn is grabbing a phone book only to find someone has torn the hotel pages out of the yellow pages. We use the internet on her phone to find the nearest Hampton Inn an exit away and make our way there instead.  It ended up good in the end, our room there was amazing!! There was even a rubber duckie (which we named duckie) on the bathtub.

So after talking awhile, grabbing food, and soaking our feet in the hot tub, we settled in for the night.

Day one in Chicago was a blast!! We got up early, drove in, and parked at the end of the redline el station. We took the el into Theatre district and walked. We came across a parade, which was just beginning, went to the Art Museum, and took pictures with a bull. All the while Lyn is reminding me we need to be back in the Theatre district at 1:30 to try and get tickets to a matinee, there are several shows playing. Whilst standing there she informs me she needs to grab something she wrote down out of the bookbag on my back. Out she pulls tickets to the 2pm showing of Mary Poppins, my all time favorite movie, that has come to broadway. 

So I was in my happy place. Our night was finished by an eventful ride back to the El station to get my car. Wrigley and Soldier Fields had just let out and we had all the crazies on our rail. We went and got a great pizza, went back to the hotel, and talked for awhile. 

Day two included the Pier..which cost us 24 dollars to park, a huge ferris wheel, pirates, funnel cakes, Ducks eating said funnel cake, a chicago style hot dog, the stained glass Museum, and lots of pictures, before driving home.

It was a weekend of so much laughing my stomach is still sore, no stress, no phone, no internet, LOTS of walking, and first time experiences. I had the time of my life. I am so very blessed to have a best friend to be able to do things like this with.

No comments: